The lives of the infamous Wrecking Crew

Moderators: Ria Graziano, Maria Graziano, Ticallion Carter, Myria Graziano

Maria Graziano
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

gonna go naked 2 the challenge 2night

Post by Maria Graziano »

gonna go naked 2 the challenge 2night.

That's what the text message said that was sent from Maria's cell to Ria's cell just after 4 on Friday afternoon but thanks to the way technology had a habit of being utterly wonky in the city, it didn't arrive until an hour later. It didn't take Ria nearly as long to arrive at the door of the brownstone Maria called now home because her sister-in-law knew her well enough to know that the text message was as much a cry for help as Maria ever gave.

The time between Ria ringing the doorbell and the door swinging open seemed mere milliseconds. Maria had a tense smile on her face that was clearly more for the two reporters -- Nancy Swill from RhyDin Woman and Maria's old friend, Gary Stinwich from the RhyDin Morning News -- who were standing behind Maria than it was for Ria.

"Ria! What took you so long?" Maria asked with delight in her tone as she reached out to grab Ria's arm in an attempt to pull her in.

Luckily, the reporters couldn't see the scowl that Ria leveled on the new Baroness.  "Hadda pry C offa bed wit' a crowbar so 'e'd watch tha kids," she answered as she stumbled forward a step in Maria's hurry to get her inside.  The tone in her voice was at least somewhat cheerful with the comment; it was a good imitation of her usual way of insulting her poor husband.  Ria crossed the threshold and the older woman released her hold, allowing her to push past while she closed the door.

"Hey, Ria." Gary gave the former TDL duelist a polite nod before turning his eyes on Maria while Nancy, who didn't know the subjects nearly as well as Gary, allowed the conversation to happen around her. "What's Ria doing here?"

"I needed her to help me pick out somethin' to wear tonight, Gary. Girl stuff, y'know. You all stay down here. We won't be long," she replied innocently as she motioned Ria up the stairs after her. Gary rolled his eyes after Maria before turning his attention to his PDA to ignore the confused glance Nancy gave him.

Crew. They never changed.

Knowing that Ria would need an explanation as to why there were reporters in her home, Maria muttered beneath her breath, hoping their stomping feet would drown out her words."Marty sent them over here to follow me around for a day for some sort of article on how I prepare for a challenge."

Then with her bedroom door shut and locked, she turned to face Ria, knowing she was about to get an ear full.

Ria narrowed hazel eyes on Maria and groused.  "Wha the hell?  First ya make a deal wit' tha idiot fo' whaever idiotic reason, don't talk nothin' ta us 'bout it, an' now ya sendin' this crap?"  She pulled out the phone and brandished it to intimate the text she'd received.  "Ya ain't even stopped by ta talk 'bout any'a this crap an' now ya wanna giggle over ya wardrobe?"  Ria shook her head; gone was the false cheerfulness she'd injected into the earlier comment.  Maria could easily see she was agitated. However, at least she didn't seem agitated enough to drop the accent.  If she'd bothered to do that, Maria would have known exactly how upset she was. 

Maria tossed her hands up in the air in frustration, giving a short, broken laugh. "'Cause I had to, Ria! My lil' girl is watchin' her family broken apart. The last thing she needs is her mom being kidnapped by a slaver. I had to make a deal with him. I had no other options. And don't you dare tell me that you wouldn't do the exact same thing if it were your kids who needed you."

Ria . paused.  There wasn't another word for it.  Her head tilted as she took in Maria's explanation, frown marring her face briefly.  "Huh."  Finally, she shook herself out of it.  "Sis, ya ain't gonna be kidnapped.  We got ya back, ya know.  He'da hadda get through alla us."  She reached behind and felt underneath her Crew jacket.  Slowly, she withdrew the glock that was tucked in the waistband of her jeans, lifted it silently and then hid it once more.  "We ya family, we stick tagether.  He ain't."

"Did you seriously just bring a gun in my house? For God's sake put that away before you shoot yourself or one of the reporters downstairs sees you. I didn't want it to come to that. This bought me time, a roof over my head, and some safety." Her arms crossed over her chest as Maria surveyed the master bedroom decorated in her own sparse modern style. She had no use for things that... well, had no use. "Look, I did what I had to do. I didn't speak for any of you when I did it. That's why I'm not wearin' any Crew gear tonight. I wanted to let you know that. I'm standin' on my own tonight. No gear. No second. No colors."

Ria blinked at her sister-in-law.  Apparently she'd been better at hiding it that she thought.  "I take it alla time I'm outsidea tha house, M.  Ain't no one gonna see it if ya ain't even know it's there."  Of course, Ria'd never fired this particular gun.  Once, they'd gotten her onto a range to teach her the basics but really. she had no clue how to use it.  Enemies didn't need to know that particular fact, though.

"Ya do speak fo' us, sis, an' we speak fo' ya," she continued.  "We're family."  She stressed the last word.  "Even if ya don't like it, ya last name's Graziano an' tha means a hella lot 'ere.  The rumors are tha ya bought protection fo' alla us in ya deal, ya know."  She shook her head again.  "But do wha ya want.  Crew colors or no, I'm gonna be there at ya back an' people'll know ya still Crew.  Tic, too, an' whoever else shows up."

The name caused her bottom jaw to tense and she shook her head angrily. The dispassionate but resolute lines of her face instantly fired into an expression heavy with such a grab bag of emotions that it was difficult to pinpoint any one more than another. "Tic? Did you read his challenge? He cares about his business. He's the reason I've got reporters downstairs right now. My managers are afraid that all these rumors about what may or may not have been a part of the deal could make people think I'm backstabbin' the Crew and sidin' with Anubis. The way his challenge was worded just made it an even bigger story. He wants the distance. He wants his business interests protected. And, you know what? You guys are right. This wasn't a Crew decision. It was my decision. I'm bein' challenged tonight 'cause I'm a loyal baron, not 'cause I'm Crew."

She folded arms across her chest.  "The reason fo' challengin' ain't gonna change wha ya are, M.  Tic plays he's carin' 'bout 'is business cuz he don't wanna cause mo' crap fo' ya.  Howya think it'd look if 'e said 'ya suck ass 'Nublet' when 'is best friend's a loyal?  Was a front, M.  Hadda be.  'Specially when he jus' came offa two challenges wit' the guy."  Shaking her head, Ria sighed.  "I don't care why ya got challenged.  Nonna us do.  Ya still Crew, an' I'll be there wit' ya.  Ya'd do tha same fo' me.  An' ya'll do tha same fo' Tic when 'e gets in the ring."  Ria unfolded her arms and reached for the doorknob. 

Here in the safety of her room, she had the guts to drop her guard for the briefest of moments. Her arms were tossed out and she gave her sister-in-law a short but tight squeeze before stepping back away. "I'll think 'bout it, Ria. I just wanted to let you know that if I'm not wearin' Crew gear, it's not 'cause I think I'm any better than you all. It's 'cause this was my decision and I don't want you all takin' the heat for it and it's 'cause I'm pretty damn sure that the decisions I've made make me unworthy of it at the moment."

The words that slipped out of her mouth surprised even her and immediately she rose both hands up innocently with her palms facing out to close off Ria's route to deny her statements. She knew Ria didn't believe them. All that was important at this point was that Maria did. "Can you tell Gary that I'm in the bathroom. I need a couple minutes to collect myself. I'm sure you can come up with somethin' appropriately crude that will have them not wantin' to ask any questions."

Ria's mouth did, in fact, drop open.  First in surprise at the hug and then to respond to Maria's comments - as apparently she expected her to.  She snapped that mouth shut and then slowly shook her head.  She also couldn't just let the comment go without saying something, despite her sister-in-law's protest.  "Maria," she said plainly, no hint of an accent, "I love you as my sister and you would never be unworthy in my eyes despite the stupid crap you do.  You're my family, no. matter. what.  I'll take the heat for you whenever you need it.  Got it?  It's what we do for each other."

She turned the knob and tugged open the door.  She didn't shut it behind her after slipping through the opening.  Quickly she moved downstairs and looked at the two reporters waiting at the bottom.  Their faces looked flushed as if they had just run down themselves and were attempting to hide the eavesdropping.  Luckily, the women's voices had remained too low for them to make out specifics.  Ria flashed them a grin.  "Guess she really is goin' naked.  Couldn't stop askin' me if 'er boobs an' ass were perky 'nough."

Maria slid down the door frame with a soft laugh as Ria's words floated up the staircase to her. Yet, they were not the ones that kept replaying in her mind and eating at her resolve. Her determination had weakened.

This would clearly come down to a game time decision.

Return to “Wrecking Crew”