Return

"You are the only thing that makes any sense to me! When the days are dark, and my heart's so numb, you're the lighthouse at the edge of the sea. You are the only thing that makes any sense to me" - Only Thing by Saint Nomad

Moderators: Lady Shadowsoul, Shadowsoul

Mistakes In Time
Junior Adventurer
Junior Adventurer

Return

Post by Mistakes In Time »

A man, definitely familiar in some form to others in this Rhydin, even if the man most knew was different. Older brown eyes surveyed the area, a smile on his lips as he remembered moments held in this place, moments with his sisters, moments with significant others, and even bonding with his brother, there were many places that held this charm for the man, but this was the safest, the quietest, after all, mistakes had been made in another time that brought him here.

Kira didn’t know how long she’d been walking. But she knew it had been fast and she hadn’t stopped until she found herself deep in the Old Temple district. The alcohol was subsiding, and she looked about her. It took longer than it should have to recognize the district. At the sight of the solarium, she decided to enter. It would certainly be empty, and the echoes of nature here would be soothing. She walked in and fought to slow her pace and breathe more deeply.

The mans eyes trailed along each plant as he knelt in the grass, a small flitter of earthen magic on his fingertips, the plants glowing vibrantly with life, before standing and stepping towards the cafe counter, "Vanilla chocolate milkshake please." His voice quiet, with a singsong quality, but yet familiar to the woman who had just entered, if sounding older and more tired. Upon being handed his beverage of choice he would turn, noting the woman as he quietly sipped, not drawing attention to her clear panic.

Her eyes were dark as she struggled to fight her own mind. Memories clawed at her as she paced the walkway, her hand outstretched and touching leaves as she went. Eventually, her fingers grazed across one of the glowing leaves and she stopped, feeling the pull of the familiar magic. She closed her eyes as the sudden connection to her chosen path came to life and anchored her in place for a few breaths. The panic was not gone, but control had returned. The prey felt herself become the huntress once again.

The familiar voice speaks from the path behind her with a second strawberry milkshake, "I did not mean to scare you, and for that you have my apologies," His words tones and formal, even as he held out the shake, "Miss Kira correct?"

At the sound of his voice, her mind once again crystallizes. She opens her eyes and the spark behind them as returned, dim but alive. She turns to face him, a name on her lips, but it is stifled as she sees the man. “Y-yes. I am Kira.” She nodded her head in the familiar, automatic gesture. “May I ask what I may call you?” She takes a few steps to close the distance to a more polite speaking range.
She notices the milkshake and takes it. The coolness is soothing as she takes a sip. Only then does she realize she had just taken a cup from a stranger as if it were nothing. A flash of pink appeared in her cheeks. I’m certain I only had two drinks

His smile was gentle, "Has this time's me not met you yet Miss Kira?" His form unmoving, letting her approach him, he knew secrets to remain unshared, "Haru Jeong-Shadowsoul, owner of Paw-Fee Break, and at this point, I haven't yet shifted to mostly demon... have I?"

Her eyes flashed with recognition. The differences in him (and her admittedly buzzed state) threw her off, but it hit her with sudden clarity. “I... Haru? No, I just saw you yesterday. We dueled two days ago for the first time and I won.” Her response was somewhat automatic, but in her mind she was assembling pieces. “Time displaced. But I knew Haru of this time was as well. So two in one time frame. Dangerous games you’re playing. Unless you’re not the exact same timeline. Like James and I....” A smile had been building until the mention of his name. A darkness threatened her again, but the huntress was back in control. She kept herself steady. One who knew her would notice the change in the intensity of her eyes.

Notice he did, but question he did not, "My timeline is different from his, as in his I will never exist, truly for the best, considering the mistakes that have landed me here," A beat, "So you just won... congratulations, I know I used to quite enjoy the sports." A ring sat hanging around his neck, simple, silver, a red gem in the centre, a gift some would recognize, though the other half of the set was missing, "I am not sure where our timelines separated, but I have been reading, his life was different from mine long before my arrival in this Rhydin."

She nodded. She was clear headed now and in a topic she understood well enough. She darkness would not threaten her again for now. “Bit you recognize me, so the divergence is either very recent, or yet to happen.” She took another sip of milkshake and realized it was strawberry. She couldn’t remember the last time she’d had strawberries. She moved to stand a little closer to him as she had become comfortable and looked around the enclosure. “I’ve never actually been in here before. Almost like a small sample of the Wilds within the city. Manicured and maintained, but with echoes of freedom. It’s soothing.”

"It is peaceful and where I learned to channel the other side of my abilities," He smiles softly, "Some things are meant to happen, both he and I were adopted, yet there are those in his life I never met, his... ex? I think, according to both what I have seen and the papers, he was never in my life, yet I had Eun, and our mom, our siblings, and I met you, the divergence may have been less one divergence, more a series of smaller splits."

She nodded, enjoying the shake. “Does my mistress... does your mother know you’re here?”

"I do not believe so, not yet anyway, though I know it won't take long for her to find out, especially now that you know." His voice knowing as he sipped on the dual flavoured shake.

She gave him a look. “My life and my heart are your mother’s if she desires, but there are some things that are important enough that even I would keep them secret. I won’t say anything to her. You have my word.” She thumps a finger to his chest playfully. “I hope by now you know me well enough to understand that much.”

"Oh I know, though I do not intend to keep my presence here a secret for long, I have been here as long as Mik and Tori, just been far more discreet."

She nods in response as a reminder goes off on her phone. She blushes briefly and sends a quick text before turning her attention back to Haru. She gives a light sigh. “I... had a difficult night and I’m babbling. If you could, I’d like to hear some of what’s on your mind. I... don’t want to return yet and want an excuse to stay a bit longer.”

He smiles a little, gesturing behind her to the well lit cafe, "The shadows aren't safe but if you would like to sit I always welcome company."

She takes another sip as she nods and walks with him. “I hope you know how hard it is to resist asking you for hints about what’s ahead. Divergence or no, the future is always tempting.”

"I am afraid even if I tell there is no way to truly prevent the future, if anything attempting to escape it will only lead to trigger the events sooner." He sips his milkshake, a small smile on his lips, "A future me came back to try to save me from my fate when I was a boy, which only made it that much worse when it happened."

She let out a giggle, not at the event but at the observation. “I know well enough to not ask. And I know even the other Haru wouldn’t tell me if I did. He is beyond his years in ways I don’t know others see. Few see beyond the kitten he so often appears to be.” A playful sidelong look. “I hope I never let you forget the incident.”

Older Haru chuckles, "A kitten is very much how I would describe how I used to be, chaotic and doing what I wanted, though, I would never call myself mature or wise, particularly back then..." a pause, "And no, you never let me forget that time I became a cat boy and didn't realize."

A genuine laugh escapes her then. She had gotten a glimpse, intended or not, of the potential for closeness between the two of them. Nothing was certain, but the thought was comforting nonetheless. “In that case, I’d best ensure you remember long enough for that to be true.” She took another sip of the milkshake, only to find she had reached the bottom. “You are certainly a kitten no longer. It is too much to hope that time has been kind to you. Few in our household could expect as much. But I hope you have found some calm waters in the storms ahead.”

"Until recently, it actually wasn't bad, winding up here and what brought me was the worst of it. In my time the cafe was successful, and my son used to help me with it, I am uncertain if either him or my partner followed me through, or if they are stuck there." A small smile, "The waters were peaceful, I only hope things stay that way now,"

“A son. So you will indeed find some peace of a kind.” She gives a thoughtful look. “Haru... I may be cheating, but I’ll ask anyway. Am I... do I love your mother?” She blushed at the sudden question. She had been asking herself this over and over for weeks. It was selfish and potentially dangerous, but she had to ask. Even if she received no answer, asking alone was a measure of peace.

"Do you really want the answer to that? I can answer you, but do you want me to?"

She bit her lower lip. A rare gesture, but one she was picking up. “More than I can express, I do. Whether the answer will give me peace, or ruin what is to come, I don’t know.”

"It may do both, time is complicated, but... the answer is yes, though that knowledge alone may change things."

She nodded. That much she was sure of. She also knew it brought her no peace, though she wasn’t certain why. “Thank you. It helps. And I know what I need to do.” She looks back at him. Her eyes burned their brilliant violet, but she was unaware she had a tear down her cheek. “I... I think I need to head back. My absence may not be noticed, but at the very least, the Twins need attention.” She bent over to him and gave a light kiss on the cheek. Appreciative and affectionate.

Haru smiles gently, "Take care ok?" his voice gentle, "My number has changed, but if you need I'll be around, same goes for my sisters, we're friends after all."

She nods to him. “I’ll stay in touch. And I won’t say anything. I won’t be the one to tell your mother you are here. That is a thing between the two of you.” She backed up a few steps, a genuine smile returning to her face. “A true pleasure to see you again, Kitten.”

Haru chuckles, "That is for me to reveal when it's safe, but yes, it was good to see you..." A smirk, "Huntress."

She cocked a smile at the retort, a flash in her eyes, before turning away to the exit and the cold night.

Haru turned, a small dark figure darting through the shadows, shaped like the man himself, before evaporating into the night, the boy walking towards the door to head out for the night.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The figure would watch the pair, a flicker of flame trailing along the horns, a barbed tail extending behind him, the eyes burning a brilliant red, hatred and sadism shining through. The shadows would wrap around him, shielding him from the vision of the now human man, a giggle from the demons lips, a singsong voice taunting in song, "I'm coming for you~"

The Solarium now empty the demon would cackle, voice turning from singsong to manic, as the form crackled and shattered.

Return to “Love Me Dead”