Moderator: Staff

Bailey Raptis
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
The Stolen Child

Location: Can be found many places, but resides in Old Temple

Tower of Water Features for Future Keepers

Post by Bailey Raptis »

I wanted to follow the great idea that DemiBob and JohnCole had for tracking some of the changes that various Keepers have made to their respective towers during their reigns as Keepers. With that being said...

I didn't really try to make any radical changes to the appearance of the Tower, or the content therein. I mostly tried to hew to what was written in the setting descriptions when I wrote about the Tower. I did, however, create an NPC that I'm 100% willing to let others use if they wish to.

Sargasso was basically Bailey's majordomo while he held the tower. You can get some of the description of him from the thread I created for his time in the Tower, but the TL;DR description of him is, he's the ghost of a pirate captain who drowned long, long ago. Because of how he died, he is constantly soaked through with sea water. I basically used him/saw him as a teacher of the inner workings of the Tower -- and a swimming instructor. :D

I know it's not much, but if the next tower holder wants to use him in any way, they totally have my permission.
Last edited by Bailey Raptis on Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michelle Montoya
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Fāris Al-Ibra

Re: Tower of Water Features for Future Keepers

Post by Michelle Montoya »

I collected some posts that included descriptions and features. I've pulled out some brief snippets from those posts.

Keeper Shadowlord
Apr 2015 - When It Rains...
As the storm drifted, crackling with lightning, movement that no normal cloud possessed could be seen within. The long coils of a serpentine creature could occasionally be seen churning in rhythm with the spiraling cloud vortex - a wingless dragon, small against the backdrop of the thunderstorm, but clearly a huge beast. Beroan could not normally fly, but when he had a storm to ride, he could swim the loftier paths as most any of his draconic kin. There was something almost peaceful about the white wyrm's dance within the black clouds, a mesmerizing display of wonder seldom matched outside the enchanted confines of the Isle's otherworldly space.
May 2015 - Wizards Chronicle
The elf was in one of the magical studies, of which there were several, in the Tower of Water. Dressed simply in a light blue robe, he was alone in the circular room, whose walls shimmered like rippling water, somehow contained in solid form. With his journal open on his lap, he dipped a Roc's feather quill pen into a nearby inkwell, and began to write. ... Honestly, I felt worse for Wilson than myself; he is an older human, very wise in his way but innately resistant to change, as are most aged creatures. I do not think that the Tower of Water has been quite what he envisioned when he became a butler, with its fantastic architecture and the strange denizens of the Lagoon.
Oct 2015 - Shattered: Shadow and Beroan, Lord of the Deep
Yet even as all hope seemed lost, another roar sounded from the Lagoon, and what sounded like a tidal surge rushed up through the gap in ice left by the angry spirit. Beroan, Lord of the Deep, who had somehow managed to sleep through the entire event of Ragnarok, had finally been roused. The dragon was of a size, perhaps larger, than the Ragnarok spirit, but more importantly was not bound to powers of ice. As much heat as chill roiled within the elemental dragon's coiling, wingless form. The Lord of the Deep's maw opened, fish and other, wriggling things from the sea dripping from its fangs, and unleashed a cone of steam large enough to melt through much of the Lagoon's icy surface and completely cover the spirit in water as hot as any which emerged from a seabed's magma vent.
Nov 2015 - Shipwright
Wilson nodded and grew quiet as they crossed the bridge and entered the soaring, solid-water crystalline vaults of the Tower of Water. Only when they had become situated, with Wilson humming around the kitchen, and Shadow blowing on a cup of Earl Grey, did the old butler break the silence between them.

Keeper Bailey Raptis:
Dec 2015 - Lessons from the Tower of Water
Water constantly spilled down from the ceiling to the ground, yet the smooth packed white sand that comprised the tower’s floor never seemed to get wet. The only water on the ground came from the pirate himself. His body was translucent, but his stringy black hair, his tri-cornered hat, his long black-and-red coat, and his trousers were eternally drenched. Every step he took left a small puddle on the ground in the shape of his boots. He would have to ask about that, once the captain was finished berating him.
Michelle Montoya
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Fāris Al-Ibra

Post by Michelle Montoya »

Features describe in the thread Into the Darkest Depths We Go are freely available for all to use, with the exception of Xanth's Archives (for that you will need to ask Xanth's player).

The octopus Coci, the paunch bellied Triton Kohloss, Shlop the giant cuttlefish, and the pink-haired mermaid Andrina are also available.

Although the Tower collapsed when Michelle sent Eregor to R'lyeh, both Key and Tower have reformed anew. The Key to the Tower of Water was at one point tethered to R'lyeh. If you would like to use 'echoes' of R'lyeh or 'memories' of R'lyeh/Michelle's time there feel free to do so!
Eregor
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
"You Traitorous Cur"

Post by Eregor »

With the rebirth of the Tower of Water following its demolition by the former Keeper, there have been changes.

- No longer white sandstone (except around the tide pools at its base), the structure of the Tower is now limestone formed from the growth of coral, then hollowed out into a series of chambers and passages by the water that initially enveloped it. Note that both the growth and hollowing of the Tower were done at a vastly accelerated rate.

- A column of water rises through the center of the Tower, allowing its inhabitants access to the various halls. This column begins as sea water below, but through the Tower's magic it is filtered as one gets higher, until it emerges at the top to fill a crowning basin before gently pouring over the sides in a series of waterfalls, or flowed back within to form streams that coursed through the Tower's chambers.

- Several of the chambers contain deep pools, fed by the central column, where the residents such as Sargasso, Kohloss, and Andrina reside. These rooms open to the outside with balconies curtained by the aforementioned waterfalls, and their pools drain over the side to add to the pour. Even those rooms that are not submerged, such as the Keeper's study and library, feature shallow pools and streams running through them.

- The air within the Tower is continually filled with a fine, refreshing mist. Even the library is misted, although the books suffer no damage from the moisture.

- As it was previously, the waters in the lagoon surrounding the Tower change with passing tides, and on the far side (facing away from the main island) the tide pools remain with their crabs, starfish, and sea urchins. However, the near side of the Tower is now surrounded by a small copse of mangroves, their roots (along with the sandbar leading from the Isle) visible at low tide but when the waters are high.

- The doorway to the Tower is a curtain of water that only the Keeper, the Tower residents, and permitted guests can pass through.

- Below the waterline, there is another opening allowing inhabitants of the lagoon entrance to the Tower. Beyond that, the sandy floor extends to the living coral barrier reef at the lagoon's outer edge, where Coci the octopus and Schlop the cuttlefish--among others--make their homes. The lagoon has also become home to a pod of dolphins, led by their matriarch Orinel, and of course the great water dragon Beroan, Lord of the Deep, could sometimes be glimpse among the waves beyond the reef, or riding the skies when a storm came.
Mairead Harker
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
'Baby' Baroness

Post by Mairead Harker »

A baby octopus, won as a prize in an all ranks tournament by Maggie Harker, was placed in Coci's care. He was named Kanaloa in honor of one of the four major akua (gods) of traditional Hawaiian religion. Kanaloa has grown to adult size and is able to communicate telepathically with several other species. He enjoys solving puzzles and will spend more time interacting with those that bring him a toy of some kind. Something biodegradable or edible is recommended.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nr39o-8VD1k
"And those who have not swords can still die upon them." - Eowyn, shieldmaiden of Rohan
Mairead Harker
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
'Baby' Baroness

Post by Mairead Harker »

In the library archives of the Tower of Water is a listing of water related deaths and natural disasters that have happened on Rhydin including the Hannibal snowstorm of recent years. Some are cross-referenced with the Rhydin Public Library.
"And those who have not swords can still die upon them." - Eowyn, shieldmaiden of Rohan

Return to “Duel of Magic (OOC)”