So, you want to be a Hero?

Moderator: Rakeesh

Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

A visit to Dojo Darelir

Post by Rhaine »

It was late afternoon when I walked to the gates of Dojo Darelir. The sun is no threat for me, and I wanted to catch General Xenograg before he leaves anywhere. The gate looked huge. Luckily, the peephole door wasn't way too high. A voice spiced up with a heavy accent questioned me if I had an appointment. Appointment, Midnight's call! I tried to remain as polite as I could. Using the business card Xenograg has given me, I was allowed enter. The guard was hardly taller than myself, yet looked dangerous enough. He guided me into a small garden, where I got the chance to scan surroundings. Not bad... the place was guarded well, and a ward shimmered over the garden like a dome unseen by human eye. A boy belonging to the same subrace as the guards, came up offering some refreshment while I wait, but I declined. An asmodean is trained to wait. Half an hour of waiting is nothing.

A swirling flare of magical field preceded Xenograg appearing from the building way in the left. I stood up and bowed respectfully. I sensed some kind of simple leather and padded armor on him, and that he had been probably training some students - at least judging from infrared spectrum and from traces of some enhancement. "You come when you can. My students are likely grateful for your interruption," he spoke, and I could only laugh inside. Having a lesson interrupted may be a joy to a human... for a rational creature like myself, it's horribly wrong. Xenograg led me into the dojo - I can imagine how hot it was for him to stand in the sunlight in all that armor... Inside he pulled the leather hauberk over his head and set it on the floor, and removed the linen shirt he had to wear under the hauberk. For a moment I could notice the scars on his skin - and that told me much. Servants immediately appeared with a clean robe-like shirt and took away the armor, and we proceded into the library. General obviously enjoyed dispelling naive youngsters' illusions about "weak old men", at least he claimed so, but I had my own opinion about this. In the end, some people need to convince themselves they aren't as old as the records say. This is common in the worlds where life magic isn't as developed as in my homeland. In Awyrran, Xenograg would have looked and felt like a twenty-year old.

I dislike bringing bad news, but in some cases I can do nothing about this. The missive I have sent previously, could have alarmed General, but I didn't know how much he could understand from it. What intrigued him was my unusual eyesight. I had to explain that I have designed the modification myself, and slipped away from the dangerous topic. The green gemmed rune Artemus Kurgen carried was a sign enough proving danger for a biodesigner in this world, even if that is a biodesigner of my level. I didn't want to take chances.

The news of Vincent's initiation, of spectral darkness touching Temple initiates, and of similar behavior changes were accepted with due attention. Xenograg knew nothing of Vincent's nature, and I didn't wish to reveal the secret which isn't mine... I gave him a few hints, aimed at explaining how big of a pain Vince may become. Now it was my turn to ask questions.
"Who is Lily?" I asked. I have heard the name mentioned, and have seen the girl. I needed the damn explanation!
[to be continued]
Rhaine
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer
Black in Mind

Post by Rhaine »

"Over a dozen years ago, Athlstan's very pregant wife was kidnapped by the demoness Shakira. A rescue attempt failed -- not too dissimiliar that what you and I recently tried. Kestri's body was eventually found but without the baby. Not quite two years ago, Shakira returned to Rhydin. In her care was a twelve year-old girl. A human child raised from infancy by a demoness," Xenograg's answer was as informative and precise as I hoped for.

I could hardly keep from cussing aloud. Why do I always get into problems with hell-related action?! First it was a plot to push our Temple into lethargy. Now - Bloodspeakers, and this hell-raised child. Why do I always have to deal with the conflict embedded into me... with my binding to magic of life and to the hellish Legion of Midnight? Depression approached me in silent steps. The puzzle was turning into a picture, and the picture was a grim one. I don't believe in light that blinds. Even in the Temple... we never made initiates mindless drones. Never! And I feared going to the Temple of Divine Light. I guess I voiced my thoughts.

"Many religious sects have hidden Rules that are found out along the way. I have done it myself, I admit. I had nobler goals," General spoke, and I could only object. One thing is - being blinded by your own trust. Another - by a ritual that turns you into... into a lapdog. My brethren in the Temple of Asmodeus... imprisoned in the past, in lethargy and death... to honor you I shall side with the do-gooders. The Darkness has no right to blind.

The conversation slowly shifted away from the Temple topic, but my heart was uneasy. My vampire disguise was the least of my concerns, so no wonder Xenograg asked if I needed blood to survive. I felt the urge to be honest. "No. My metabolism is infinitely flexible," I replied. This was rather uncommon for a world where life magic is rudimentary, and information shouldn't be enough to threaten me. Having arranged an appointment for a lesson in Swords, I left. I sense that soon I would need all possible skill with the sword.

As soon as I walked out of the gates of the Dojo, I entered the Shadows.

Return to “The Adventurer's Guild”