Return from Twilight Isle

Tales from the Atreblan Valley

Moderator: Michelle Montoya

Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Return from Twilight Isle

Post by Topaz »

Topaz had managed to sneak by the guards and through the wards without alerting either to her return in the middle of the night. But she had just about made it to the stairs, when Julian DerKorst stepped from the library.

“Topaz?” Julian called softly from just behind her.

“Julian. You are still up.” She turned to face him. Julian was in civilian clothes this evening. That did not happen often.

One look at her was all the experienced major needed to know that the evening’s business had not gone as expected. The always enchantingly beautiful woman - he thought she looked even more so when not dressed in magic – looked more like an alabaster statue of herself just now. Her voice didn’t ring any livelier in his ears either. But she was not bodily injured as far as he could tell. He was too relieved about that to mind her learning more of his secrets. Not that she ever so much as hinted at that she had, he just knew better. Julian put an arm around her shoulder and directed her back the way he had come, to the couch in front of the fire place.

“Coffee or brandy?”

“Yes, please.” The fairy sat down sideways, tucking one leg up under her and watched Julian pour brandy and still steaming coffee into the two cups sitting on the table behind the couch. “How did you know when to have hot coffee ready?”

Julian made a point of not drinking coffee after the sun had set. Topaz knew that. She reached for one of the cups as Julian stepped around the couch and sat down beside her.

“This is the sixth pot up from the kitchen. There would be a fresh one every half hour. There is also a fire going in your rooms.” He regarded her with a warm smile.

“Thank you, Julian.”

Julian waited until she had a good part of the coffee in her before he prompted, “It is easiest when you start at the beginning.”

“I arrived before anyone else did. While I was checking the shielding around the rings some of the others arrived. Brigath had made arrangements for Kyndra to take over his hosting duties for the evening. When most everyone was there, I gave fair warning, started on getting the individual shielding in place and dropping the none-essential magic. That’s when I ran into the first problem. The shields would not stay around Vinny. I probably spent too much time on trying to keep them in place.”

The fairy paused to take another sip from her cup. Julian did not offer any distracting comment, so she continued, “Lucien showed up late but before we set out. Putting shielding around him was difficult, too, but I had expected that.”
Last edited by Topaz on Wed May 31, 2006 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

“When everyone was ready to head out, I dropped the last bit of none essential magic. It was rather overwhelming and confusing at first.” Julian noticed the first chime of bemusement in her voice as she continued. It was a private sound. He knew she wouldn't tell him or anyone else of what she learned about her companions of the hunt while expanding her senses.

“By concentrating on finding the creatures I was able to ignore most of it. Yes, not all, just most. Once I had found them though, they overwhelmed all else. Each ten times nastier than that demi-god, Manamar, and there were three of them.” The fairy gave a disgusted shiver that said more than words could have. “Greed is so much lesser an evil.”
Topaz finished off the coffee.

“What were their intentions?” Julian prompted when the look in the light blue eyes started to take on a far-away quality.

“Desire for destruction, despoiling, death; bloodlust, despair, enjoying horror and the moment of death. There was not even a hint of hunger for nourishment, survival eventually, then just to inflict maximum damage in dying. In hindsight, I’m rather surprised none of them blew up. They all intended to.”

Julian took the empty cup from her and wrapped his arm around her, careful not to damage the delicate wings. “It is over now. Let that filth leave. You do not need that information anymore. Just let it go.” He had found just the right notes, hypnotic almost, that allowed the fairy do just that.

“I liked the way Lucien felt.” Topaz knew Julian would not like hearing that even before she said it, but it was part of the evening’s events.

“What happened after you found them?”

“I did manage to put Kaletha's token in a strategic spot, but then the others arrived and chaos ensued. There was no time for anyone to concentrate long enough to do anything with that. Brigath was magnificent. He turned into his wolf form and was doing a pretty good job tearing the first one of the Liches apart. Actually, I do not believe they were just liches or even lich lords. One of them at least had fangs and moved like Vampires do. Perhaps that’s why I was suspecting that Vanion was involved.”

“I did sneak up behind it while Brigath was distracting it and keeping it from casting any more spells and managed to thrust Raven between its ribs. I did not stay to watch it crumble. I got to busy after that to recall the exact order of events. I used whatever time I needed to take to orient myself to check on the shields and fix them were needed.

“When I noticed that the shields around Lucien were failing altogether – what was he doing staying that close to one for so long? – I decided it would be quicker to magic some heat into him, and more likely to do any good than to continue to use micro magic on the liches. I can only hope I found a middle way and did burn up anything by mistake. He seemed well enough after the fighting was done.”
Last edited by Topaz on Wed May 31, 2006 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

“Are you saying that you were attacking the liches with those mini shields turned weaponry the entire time?” Julian did not bother to hide his disapproval. She'd know anyway. “Blessed mother.” His curse drew a little smile on the fairy’s lips. Just for a moment, but Julian was happy to see it at all.

“I also found out what Caelan’s rapier’s special magic is. He put his familiar into the blade. Raven did come out of the blade and dived into one of the liches still standing. I think he grabbed a lung. Then he flew of with it. I guess, Vinny must have thought the Raven an enemy. He went after him with the intent to kill. There’s no telling what could have happened if he’d succeed so I had to leave the fighting to at least try to stop him. That man does not know what a hint is.”

The fairy started to sound as exhausted as she looked. But Julian saw this as a positive sign. Sometimes she was too self-controlled for too long for her own good.

“In-between all the fighting going on, Brigath disappeared. At the time it had not felt like he had died, so I wasn’t alarmed. But after the fighting was all done, I only saw his body. And that was very dead. By then though, I couldn’t even muster enough energy for a fire spell, not for him nor to burn the liches’ bodies. I had a hard enough time just getting myself visible again and to put the shielding up to keep everyone else out.”

“What other casualties were there?”

“None.” Topaz paused, searching her memory. “There should have been injuries though. But no one complained of any afterwards. Maybe they will not be aware of any until the cold and excitement leaves their bodies.”

“Vinny took care of burning the trash and Lucien carried Brigath’s body back to the rings. Azjah was so upset, she actually slapped Brigath. It took a while, but eventually the consensus was reached to burn the body. The worst about that were the goblins. There wasn’t a one not crying or wailing.” Topaz swallowed twice, but that did nothing to keep her eyes from flowing over.

‘Finally’, Julian thought to himself and pulled the fairy into his lap. Topaz did not cry often. The number of those that knew she did so at all was low, Julian suspected. His shirt was getting increasingly damp, but her body was still; no sobs, no shoulders heaving, nor anything else beside his shirt getting wet evidence her crying.

“One sobbed in Kyndra’s lap.” Topaz said a while later and, “I so wanted to leave there. I knew I couldn’t. Lucien bowed when he had to leave with Azjah.”

“You should have allowed Walter and Alfred to wait at the Inn. They could at least have brought you back.” He let her cry until she was out of tears. When she had not volunteered anything else for a long time he wondered if she had fallen asleep. “Topaz?” he asked softly. Feeling her nod against his chest he added, “Are you able to sleep now?”
He did not wait for her reply but rose with her in his arms. By the time she said “yes” he already had climbed the stairs and was in the process of depositing her on her bed.

Before he left her rooms he made sure the fire in the hearth was all that it should be and he left instructions with the guards outside her rooms that the Commander was not be disturbed before lunch. He would re-schedule the AM briefing for mid-afternoon, too.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

The briefing that afternoon had been mercifully short. The officers had nothing out of the ordinary to report. Major derKorst was not surprised when Topaz released the other officers as soon as possible but requested him to stay a moment longer.

“This is not Guardian business, but you should be informed just the same. I have some unfinished business on the isle.” Topaz started as soon as the last of the others had left. “I need to find out how the creatures got onto the isle and make certain others may not enter the same way. Though I did not find any more of their kind last night, it is very possible that I missed something.”

At the Commander’s nod Major derKorst offered, “Understood. But may I suggest that you wait another day with this and to at least ask for volunteers to aid with the task?”

The major regarded the fairy with one of his crystal hard looks while she silently weighed the pros and cons once again.

At last she said, still thoughtful, “You may. The shields should still be effective for another day, perhaps two. I will let you know what I may come up with before I go back to the Isle.”

“Thank you, major. That is all for now.” Topaz went to her office a few moments after Julian had left the briefing room.
Topaz
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Topaz »

Topaz lifted her eyes from her papers when she heard the door open. “Am I running late?” She had left instructions to be reminded of the passage of time should she not have left her office by mid-day.

“No Sir. Major derKorst is here to see you.”

She nodded to the guard. “Let him in, please.”

“We have an invitation to the coronation festivities at the court of the Kazur Empire in Radurdan.” Topaz picked up the understated yet elegant invitation and passed it to Major derKorst. “Impossibly the coronation is to be on the eleventh. However, I have already accepted the invitation to King Gavilean Starfare’s wedding, and neither Max nor Michelle are available. I’m afraid you will have to go. And quite honestly, I do believe you as the Weapon’s Master are the higher compliment. Any objections?”

Julian had scanned and then re-read the stylishly phrased invitation while Topaz spoke. “No objections. Even were the circumstances different, your choice of delegate is the best possible. It is fortunate that you already accepted the wedding invitation and there is no need to mention the other commanders.”

“Will you be able to have everything arranged by Monday for your absence?”

“Yes.”

“Thank you.” Topaz meant that as permission for the major to leave, but he was still standing there. “Was there something else?”

“About the Isle business – I must have missed the update.”

Topaz smiled. “No, you did not miss anything. My apologies. I met Lucien at the Overlord challenge last evening. He too was of the opinion that the clean up was incomplete and insisted to be part of the inspection. It will be taken care of this evening.”
Lucien
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Lucien »

As I faded into the visible spectrum, and searched the beach area of Twilight Isle, I caught sight and scent of the fairy. She was dressed in a light blue dress that flowed and moved around her as a living thing caressing her magical form. She carried a rapier at her hip, and I noticed that there were no flowers in her hair. She should always wear flowers in her hair. Something is missing when such a lovely creature is devoid of the beauty of flowers.

I could sense that others had been on the Isle, and I asked Topaz if she had sent anyone preceding us to the Isle.

She smiled and said good evening, observing the social niceties that I had just failed to observe, "Good evening to you. It is possible, the portal was not disabled, but no, I did not send anyone. And the goblins live here, of course."

It was not the goblins I could sense. Whomever had been here was human. I turned and gave her a long look, "We stick together on this, right? No separation." I knew it was asking too much for her to wait right here on the beach and let me search. She had already exhibited a propensity for failing to allow the Hunters to do their jobs while she remained safely behind.

"Yes, Sir." Came her reply, with a practiced ease that sounded suspiciously like she was having fun with me.

I gave her a slight grin, "with sufficient practice, you may become good at that." However, I know she is not ever going to learn to show respect when it matters. She will always throw herself into the fray without regard for her safety.

She chuckled, "not too good, I hope."

I quirked a black brow at her, "Is it possible to become too good at being a woman? One day, you must explain to me this disrespect men have for their women in this realm." I knew it would needle her, and I find that thought pleasing.

Her laugh rippled across my skin, "I've always been that, female I mean. So that part comes naturally." She laughed again, "hmmm, and you're asking me?"

I was scanning the tree line, "we should begin along the edge of the plains where we found their cave." I doubted that they had come through in that cave, but I was hoping to get a better feel for their magic signatures, and that should help me recognize other works. They would have set the cave with defenses; things to drive the curious away, or to entrap the too bold. It was a good place to start.

I nodded at her, "well, since you seem to agree with their disrespect, yes." She was the first female that I thought would give me a straight answer that was not representative of Rigel. I know why the Marchioness does such things, but it does not sit any easier with me even knowing.

She looked toward the treeline, "lead the way."

I unsheathed the ancient dagger that I had brought along to deal with these things. It was the dagger I'd brought the other night as well. It is a holy relic from the time of the Crusades. There are not many of the undead who could face such a weapon, and it was not silver, which would have been impossible for me to wield. I glanced at her in the habitual twilight of the Isle, "do you require light?"
Lucien
Proven Adventurer
Proven Adventurer

Post by Lucien »

The fairy gave me a puzzled look, "It is not disrespect. Much the opposite, they trust in my abilities. If they wouldn't, they would be less respectful, but more protective. Or, just take unwanted liberties. That kind walks around in these parts too." She chuckled softly and I looked askance at her. She gave me an impish smile, "The twilight of the isle will be sufficient."

I shook my head, still scanning the plains before us, "in my home, females are few and treasured. They understand that their men, the Hunters, are quite capable of dealing with the threats. We are a dying species. They are our healers and our nurturers, not warriors." The disparity between my world and the outside worlds I have encountered never ceased to amaze me. Our women are strong, and yet, they see no need to go charging off into dangerous situations, nor do they see a need to hunt the undead. They have faith in us.

She walked beside me as we began to approach the cave where we had had the standoff earlier. "I'm no good at healing. I tried. And I am not domestic in any sense of the word." She was defending her skills and desire to be in the Hunt.

I was still watching for traces of the Lyches, and hoping no more had come through their entry point. "Domesticity is not all there is for our women. They are the keepers of knowledge, they manager our disguises, they are the light to the darkness that runs in all of our males." How do you explain the role of our salvation to someone who does not see the need to stay away from Hunting?

She kept up with my hard pace, but did allow me to be slightly in the lead. "Do you keep them in cages?"

I paused, turning to give her an incredulous look, "Cages? Why ever would you think such a thing? They are treasures!!" Her question took me by surprise, and every fiber of my being rebelled at such a notion.

"Cages, huts, caves, castles - same difference. Some around these parts do and call it being protective. Treasures as in the sort of stuff Dragon's sleep on?" She believes our women had no say in their lives??

"We respect their gifts, and they respect ours. It is not disrespectful to them. It is mutual respect for one the other's abilities." I paused as we reached the cave entrance. "Do you feel the power signature?" I raised my hands and let the magic that made up the outer wards flow through my sense.

She smiled, "Then it's really not all that different. Most who know me come to respect my abilities and me theirs." She didn't see that hunting was not for females. To her, it was alright for a woman to hunt the undead!

I paused, turning to frown at her, "You put yourself in danger."

She disagreed, "I can't, not with all these spells. And yes, so did everyone else."

I gave a human-like sigh, "but you do not realize that when a woman is along, the Hunters are distracted, they are required first and foremost to protect you." The idea that a female should perish on a hunt is unthinkable, and our focus is always split rather than single-mindedly bent on the destruction of the undead.

She gave me one of her charming smiles, "did I distract you?"

"Of course." I moved silently toward the mouth of the small cave.

She gave me an enigmatic smile, "thank you," before following me toward the opening. "Why is your race dying out?" Her footfalls were nearly silent as we paused at the entrance. There were no Lyches within, but the reek of their power lingered.

Return to “Atrebla”