A Beautiful Day for a Sail

Twins with a shadowed past make their way in a world where they've never felt welcome by any save those who taught them what they know.

Moderators: Sylus Kurgen, Artemus Kurgen

Jaleeisa
Adventurer
Adventurer

A Beautiful Day for a Sail

Post by Jaleeisa »

Jal packed a picnic lunch, tucking in a checkered cloth over roasted fowl, cheese, bread and a bottle of Elven wine. Dressed in comfortable pair of breeches, a loose, comfortable flowing blouse and an old, comfortable pair of boots.

Swinging out of her room, the basket swinging against her hip as it dangled from her arm. Stepping lightly, she all but danced down the stairs to the common room of the Inn. Humming a rather ribald sea shanty under her breath, a wave was tossed to the few patrons about that she had met. What a lovely day it would be to return to the sea, for even a little while. Art was very kind to have invited her. A glance through the windows revealed clear, sunny skies. Perfect.. just add a little wind and it would be completely perfect. She found herself oddly looking forward to hauling rope and tightening sails and even the faint blisters doing so would raise on her hands. Not that they had softened much over the last couple months. Swordplay saw to that pretty well.

But to feel the sea breeze in her hair again. The crack of the sails. The dancing shift of the deck as the craft rode the waves. The tangy smell of the sea that one just could not find even standing on the docks. It was going to be a lovely day.

Making her way to the docks, her smile widened when she found the schooner Art had mentioned. She paused a moment to study it with a critical professional eye. Seeing it rode the swells well, and seemed sound from this distance, she continued on. Studying the sails as she approached, eyes searching for any fraying or improperly tied knots that would make raising and lowering sail difficult. The breeze rose lightly, then died off before raising once more. A shrug at the thought, weaving to coax the winds to sails was a well practiced skill and wouldn't take much time or energy. Approaching the gangplank, a hearty shout rang out "Ahoy the ship! Jaleeisa Windstar requesting permission to board!"
Artemus Kurgen
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Post by Artemus Kurgen »

"Permission Granted!" Came the call from below deck a moment before he came up out of the small hold he'd added to contain extra supplies. Barefoot and just wearing a comfortable pair of breeches he was shrugging on a shirt as he stepped on deck.

"Heya Jal. You're just in time, got all the supplies loaded for our small voyage. Didn't know if you just wanted to spend the day out on the water and come back tonight, or spend a night out and come back tomorrow morning, so I planned for both. As First Mate for this little trip, I thought it best to let you decide. What say you?"

Walking towards her, he checked the gaff and a few ropes to make sure everything was still tight and secure. He was someone of a fanatic about this, made sure everything was in grand condition at all times. The usual sea of blond hair was pulled back into a braided ponytail to keep it out of his face while moving about the ship.
Artemus Allonan Kurgen
Headmaster of Arcanum Academy
Proprietor of Dark Wolf and Leopard Jewelers.
Jaleeisa
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Jaleeisa »

Boarding felt a little odd in boots, but she managed it with good grace. But as soon as she stepped fully aboard, the basket found rest on the deck, a lean and tug saw one boot in hand, then the other. Bare toes curled lovingly against the decking. A soft sigh escaping her as she scooped the basket back up in her other hand. "Well, I was thinking just for the afternoon, really. I have some things to take care of this evening that can't be set aside." Moving towards Art, bare feet making a caress of each step. Handing off the basket to him to stow where he saw fit. "So, where can we sail to in a couple hours? I'm not terribly familiar with Rhydin's coast. It would be wonderful to stay aboard longer than that. It's been too long since I tasted the salt. But plans made long before the invitation as well as a few chores and some paperwork I'm keeping track of while Brig's on vacation need my attention later."

As she spoke, she settled her boots to one side, out of the way for the moment, though they would need to be stowed more securely before they cast off. That gray gaze was busy all the while, examining the details of the ship. " And my thanks again for inviting me. I truly have missed the sea."
Artemus Kurgen
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Post by Artemus Kurgen »

"Eh don't mention it Jal. Seemed the proper thing to make up for missing the end of the wedding...and I couldnt' think of any better way to say thank you for that wineskin and the bottles. Besides, it's been a while since I've sailed myself."

Taking her basket and her boots, both were placed in the small hold with the other supplies. Mooring lines were untied as he asked Jal to kindly pull up the anker while he put up the sails so that they could get under way.

"Hope I'm not being nosey, but might I enquire as to the previous engagements made that will be stealing your company away from me once our picnic is done?" Turning to give her a roguish grin he moved towards the bow, eyes scanning around for anything he might have missed.
Artemus Allonan Kurgen
Jaleeisa
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Jaleeisa »

Releasing the pin holding the anchor at it's current depth, a glance over her shoulder to Art. " Well, I need to pick up some things for a trip I'm making soon to take care of some business left after my Captain's death. Then I'm planning to go shopping with Des and Kyndra, then we're going somewhere for a small dinner party. Then I plan to be abed and rest in tomorrow before finishing the details for my trip. After my shift on Monday, I'll be leaving for a few days.

Hauling up the anchor with the crank, a soft tune hummed under her breath, feeling the craft begin to rock more freely, she hurridly, but securely repinned the anchor chain and skipped over to port, reaching automatically for the ropes.
Artemus Kurgen
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Post by Artemus Kurgen »

Lifts a brow hearing that then laughs. "Watch it Jal, the evening you've described to me has "blind-date" written all over it. And with Des and Gav being the unofficial match-makers of Rhydin, they'll be introducing you to quite a few eligable bachelors." Walking to the steering column he guided the ship away from the docks once the anker was up and the sail started to catch the wind.

"And I hope I'm not bein too forward..but I'm really going to miss your company while you're away. But I can understand wanting to avenge your captain. It's probably a task you've put off for some time now isn't it?" Forest hues focused on the stormy pools of her eyes once he tuned to look at her. Watching Jal's face intently, as if memorizing every detail.

"I'd also normally ask if you want someone to come with you as backup, but I have a feeling you'd not accept. It's your task, and you want to do it along, right? Or am I assuming too much?"
Artemus Allonan Kurgen
Jaleeisa
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Jaleeisa »

Laughter met him as he mentioned the "blind date" aspect. "Well, a lass can never have too many new friends, aye? And I do enjoy meeting new people. And Des does seem to have excellent taste in men. So if that's the entertainment they have planned, I'll not complain! Especially if I can wheedle them into doing a veil dance for me!" A saucy twinkle in her eyes as she glanced over her shoulder at him. A slight, unconsious shift of feet as the schooner slid from it's mooring.

Glancing over the ship, eyes darkening as he mentions avenging her Captain. "No, this is with a barrister that contacted me. It seems that my Captain left something with him that he was to see that I got should something have happened tothe Captain." Stormcloud gray moves over to the approximate area where on her last berth she'd pulled a dagger from her foster father's heart. "And the time for vengence will come in it's time. There are things to arrange yet. But aye, I'd prefer to make this trip alone. There is much I still need to settle in my mind and things to think on and memories to live and cry over."

A shake of head, a faint shudder running through her petite frame. Then adopting a smile that didn't even come close to reaching her eyes, but the facade was back in place despite the nearly black hue of her gray eyes. "How charming to say you'll miss my company. But I'm sure you'll not lack for company. The Inn seems to be a fair feast for such a charming rogue as youself, Art." That grin staying in place with little effort now that she'd changed the subject, a teasing twinkle stealing into her slowly lightening eyes as she puts aside her past, glancing to her friend as she ties off the sail she'd been raising, an unseen twitch of fingers bringing a gentle wind to billow it out above her.
Artemus Kurgen
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Post by Artemus Kurgen »

The remark about the Inn being a fair feast for one like him had him shaking his head, the smirk on his lips faultering a little bit before his good humor returned. "A veil dance you may get, but I'm still confident none of them will be able to out do the one preformed by Brig and myself."

The darkening of her eyes made him frown for he did not mean to upset her like that. He was merely wishing to do what he could to help her. Locking the steering in place he walked over to her, a soft smile on his face. "Well then, it seems tonight shall be the last good time you will have before your work begins." Arms crossing over his chest he just watched her. "But before any of that, I am sorry if my words upset you." Leaning over he kissed her on the forehead, it was a safe gesture as he knew not where he stood with her at the moment. "It was not my intention. You're a good woman, and a good friend to have Jal. And you're no fool, you know that I care about ya so I'm not going to bother with sentimental words that will only make the next days for you harder."

A hand rose and gave her shoulder a gentle squeeze before he was moving passed her to stare out over the waters. Nothing more needed to be said as far as he saw things. He'd said and done what he needed, now they could get down to enjoying their trip. Artemus closed his eyes as he felt the gentle spray of the sea on his face, body swaying lightly with the motion of the ship.

"Did I tell you, that when I learned to sail I was blind? I fell in love with the sea before I ever really saw it. From how the woman who taught me described the ocean. The way a setting sun makes it sparkle like a thousand diamonds have been scattered across the horizon, and how no matter how much you sail, she'll always keep secrets from you..."
Artemus Allonan Kurgen
Jaleeisa
Adventurer
Adventurer

Post by Jaleeisa »

A smile of relief met his understanding. And more relief was kept hidden at his perception. "Thanks, Art, I appreciate the delicacy. As for the dance, we'll just have to see. The evening should be interesting and fun, at any rate." A hand patted the one on her shoulder as she moved a step away to tighten down another rope, a sigh as she filled her lungs with the beloved sea. "As for your words, they were of concern and friendship and I appreciate them. It's still a difficult thing to think on.. his death."

A glance to him over the rope. "No.. you learned to sail blind?"
Artemus Kurgen
Seasoned Adventurer
Seasoned Adventurer

Post by Artemus Kurgen »

As she spoke it was his turn to look at her over his shoulder with a smile that could have been taken to be one from someone who wanted more than friendship. But that matter was for later. Turning his body so that he could watch her face he merely nodded.

"Yes I did. I'll not go into the details since they are not too pleasant, but I was in an accident that took my eye sight from me for quite a while. I was miserable. All of my friends were engaged in things of their own. My first wife had been murdered, I still have not found the killer, and I'm beginning to think that I never will. At the time it seemed as if my life went from bad to worse with each passing day. Then, out of the blue...one of the few friends I had at the time, Anne... ::makes a blessing motion:: The goddess rest her soul. ::coughs:: came to me. She was going through a rough time as well, so we decided to go sailing, and she would teach me how. It was on a schooner much like this one. I learned what everything was called, what it did, and where it was located before I knew what each item looked like."

Walking back to the steering column he spun the wheel and pointed them out to see, he knew right where he wanted to take her for this trip as well.

"For most of her life, Anne was a pirate...and on that trip she showed me many of the places other pirates long put in irons used to board their swag along with places smugglers used as caches. One in particlar is beautiful, has a small lagoon, many bright colored birds. I fell in love with many of these same places just hearing her describe them to me."

Eyes move towards her with his usual roguish grin. "You know what it's like to fall in love with something as vast
Artemus Allonan Kurgen

Return to “Kurgen Keep”