The World According to Maggie

Sometimes, the dance called life is graceful. Sometimes, you step on a toe or fall flat on your face.

Moderators: PrlUnicorn, Mairead Harker, Eregor

Mairead Harker
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
'Baby' Baroness

Re: The World According to Maggie

Post by Mairead Harker »

Personal Vlog - Early Morning - 12 Aug 2020

Camera opened on the office at Dragon's Gate Sword School and the sound of a door locking is heard. Maggie sat in a chair behind a desk..

Jaycy is Jaycy again! What I mean is that she's back to the person I've known most of my life. Like with so many others, it's quite an experience to see that different aspect of someone. It's not exactly like Gran and Granny Kirin, who are the same person, but shaped by different experiences. There's another bit of craziness that's normal to me, but not to others.

I still have people telling me that I should enjoy being a child while I can. What they don't understand is that I gave up the chance to do what might best be described as speed aging. I could have literally given up my childhood and teenage years to be older. But why give up that precious time, as Mama calls it, to prove a point?

Harker's Academy exists because of kids and teenagers like Lynnie Granger, Amaris, Doran, and me that didn't get a choice in the hand we were dealt. We're the lucky ones, we have supportive families and teachers around us. For every kid that went to or goes to school at Harker's that's learned how to not be burned, drowned, suffocated, or buried by the elemental magic that they were born with, there's a dozen others on Rhydin's streets that are lost in their own world. Sometimes, being lost in your own world is a good thing, like reading a good book. But isolating yourself from others because you are afraid ... Maggie shook her head. of who you are? That's not a good thing.

A couple of hours every week, I read to the kids in Riverview Pediatrics. Been doing this since the Animal Therapy Program started; I was about six. The young kids related better to the dogs than people. That's what some kids need, someone to feel safe with. All of them do, but some more than others. Dogs don't usually tell your secrets. That is, unless, they think you need help that they can't give. Gussie tells me stories, but I think she still remembers the baby that used to hold onto her to walk. I tease Dris about her stories, but she's not a tattletale. He lets me look after her from time to time or should I say lets her visit with me because we look after each other. She keeps my secrets as she always has.

Because of my talent with languages, I'm sometimes asked to translate for young children. Kids relate better to a kid. While most of them have been cases of having wandered off when a parent or caregiver was distracted for a moment, others have been far less pleasant. A couple of kids were found wandering Old Market after the Blackest Night. Tracing them back to their home, one of the Watch groups was met with a horrific sight. Father and two siblings dead; Mother and infant sister close to it. I don't know what the whole story was and am probably better off not knowing. However, I do know that there were two less faces among my visitors after the bodies were found.
"And those who have not swords can still die upon them." - Eowyn, shieldmaiden of Rohan
Mairead Harker
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
'Baby' Baroness

Post by Mairead Harker »

During the week, I usually have my lunch time with Mama or Gran. There's something I have been trying to come to terms with that they understand, but a lot of people don't.

Last month, I was having lunch with Gran over at Dockside EMC and a call went out to staff for a translator for Elvish languages. I'm not fluent in any, but I can get by in a few. When we got to the ER, what looked to be the mother of the teenage girl on the gurney was losing her mind and going on about how could her kid to this to her. Mom was yelling in Common, but her daughter was speaking in what I recognized as Sindarin. To me, it's a huge red flag when a presumed parent can't understand the language their kid is speaking. Gran speaks some Sindarin and Quenya, she was married to an Elf once upon a time; she talked to the mother.

After getting the girl calmed down, I learned that the woman was, in fact, her mother, but that Mom had not been accepting of a few things. So, I called my cousin, Melly, to get a better translation. Her grandparents live in Mellor near Eldicor and she's been speaking those languages all her life. So, after a bit of back and forth, we all learned that Glóredhel, as she preferred to be called, had recently come out to her mother as transgender. Being a teenager can be rough enough, but discovering and sharing something about yourself that's not accepted by one of the people that's supposed to care about you most ... it's like riding a roller coaster backward and blindfolded. In other words, a scary ride, but unlike the roller coaster, it's not one that you can get off and walk away from. Glóredhel had no other living kin that she knew of. Knew of, that's another hmm thing.

Aunt Chelle has always kept faith with Melly's father's people. It's going to take a while to get messages back and forth, but she's trying to find out anything she can about Glóredhel's paternal grandparents or any other family she might have. At sixteen, I think if Glóredhel prefers to embrace her Elven heritage, she should be given that chance. That's her partly mother's choice, of course, but isn't better to compromise than lose your child? Felt badly for my fellow teenager. Bad enough to be on that halfway bridge between kid and adult, but to have your only remaining parent turn against you for wanting to know who you are? That's gotta be like getting kicked in the teeth by a horse! I hope things work out, in the meantime, Glóredhel has asked to stay at Sarengrave House and has been referred to several groups that are resources for teens in transition and the LGBTQ community. While that outcome isn't what the mother wanted, she wanted her son back, I think it would be better to know you still had a chance to build a new relationship with your living child than to lose them permanently. Not everyone sees the pain of the ones that haven't quite crossed over, I do. Glóredhel might or might not have a hard road ahead, but she has a road ahead.

The ones that have yet to cross over, mostly, they want their names because they have lost them. The very young are the hardest, because many are scared, they don't understand where they are or why. By working with Rachael to solve some of her cold cases, I help those kids and me. It's one less child searching and one less voice in my head. Uncle Hades has told me there's a purpose to this gift of mine and it's not in his power to shut it down. I don't want it shut down, I want to live with it on my own terms. I have seen too many people, no matter their age, destroyed by those that were well meaning and didn't understand that forcing someone to be something they weren't or not be something they were could have disastrous results. In this respect, telling me to do what amounts to shutting down my innate talents is no different than trying to force a gay person to be straight, that's not who they are. Which brings to my next thought for today.
"And those who have not swords can still die upon them." - Eowyn, shieldmaiden of Rohan
Mairead Harker
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
'Baby' Baroness

Post by Mairead Harker »

I have to be careful what areas of hospitals I visit. Had I not already learned to cope with seeing spirits, walking through hospitals could be a hellacious experience, a living nightmare. The dead are all over the place and when they realize you can see them, the reactions are mixed. Some want help on their way, Uncle Hades has shown me how to help them on that path. While I'm still learning, I can help with the simple things like finding their favorite toy or something close to it. It's not all horrors; many times, there is joy in helping them find their peace. If they are still scared then Riddle and Trixter are able to guide them to this side of the Styx or into the care of guardians of other ... after places. Rascal is able to do this as well, but he's very much Da's dog and prefers to stretch out on his comfy bed near Da's office.

When those clinging to life in ambulances are brought in, I can sometimes see their spirits desperately trying to hold on, too. Accident victims fight the hardest because they want to continue. If it's not their appointed time, they look different to me. I'm able to show them they have a choice, fight and survive or let go and feel no pain. They never know who I am, they see someone different. I'm not a Reaper by any means, this is why I can only offer help to those with cords not cut by The Fates. Until my grandmother almost died in front of us in Old Market, I didn't know about that part of my gift. Pearl didn't know either. Her gifts are on a bit of a different path than mine. Some of hers are at the beginning of life, which is how she become a doula and helps mothers delivering their babies. I often think that would be easier, seeing new ones being born and getting their start. She says both sides of things have their drawbacks. I don't know, seeing the aftermath of a couple of young people that took Romeo and Juliet's story to extremes is awful. We agree that the hardest part of a loss is those left behind to wonder why.

Last night, Jaycy found me on the Isle where I was dueling with Haru and Doran. We had a very interesting chat about Grandpa and his library. I ...

The sound of student's voices entering the school could be heard in the background.

I'll get back to this later.

The camera shut off.
Mairead Harker
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
'Baby' Baroness

Post by Mairead Harker »

18 Mar 2021 - 7 AM

The camera clicked on. Music could be heard in the background as the morning class went through their warm ups with one of the other instructors. Maggie swayed to the steady drum beat for a minute before speaking.

Challenge tonight and I’m hoping I’ll still be teaching here come Monday. As I learned when I held Old Market for so long, titles eventually become albatrosses around people’s necks. What so many fail to see when stepping up, there will always be someone that wants it more on any given day. I’m not ready to leave this place, just yet, but I learned from Gran, always have a backup plan. That plan is to teach at the Academy once I leave Dragon’s Gate Sword. Some of the parents have decided their kids should go there as well once I leave as Baroness. Maybe they are tired of boarding their kids.

Something that is often forgotten is that this place isn’t just a day school. Many students live here in the dorm. Some revel in that little bit of independence from their family. Others, well, they get homesick; that’s normal. This has been a great experience for me. Ebon Ilnaren, who offered at the beginning, and others have come forward in this past year to teach. Since he was Baron of Dragon's Gate, he already knew several of the students. I learned many things from him. One of these days, I should ask if it’s ok to call him Uncle Ebon since he’s Aunt Ari’s heart-brother.

I felt comfortable with the idea of teaching here with Eden Parker as Baroness. She was ok with me staying since she has her own work to do. Most, if not all, people that meet her become fond of her. She’s just got this … warmth about her. Like the sun warming the body, but her light warms hearts. She’s also got a killer right hook! The serious mood was broken for a moment with a laugh.

My Swords titles have never defined me as a person. That was something I learned from Maria Graziano. I remember being in line with Mama for autographs. Maria was signing posters and one of the kids said she wanted to be like Maria. Among other things, Maria told her she should go to law school. Things associated with dueling have given me a nice nest egg. The notoriety has helped in getting sponsors for projects like the West Side Old Market Urgent Care and Shelter and Sarengrave House. Those are things that can help others. Giving back is important, but it shouldn't just be about what someone gives to those that duel; it should be about more than that.

Mallory remains as Archmage. Do I think I could have done better? Possibly. I don’t think the Citadel of the Stars is for me, not just yet. The Elemental Towers are where I need to be right now. One of the most common deaths for children is accidental drowning. The books in the Tower of Water have helped me connect dots to some of the faces of my visitors and to the records in Rachael’s cold cases. The archives at the Rhydin Public Library have also been a great help. Solving these cases aren’t likely to bring happy results. It’s one more child’s soul that will have a name restored and a family with answers and some kind of closure. Gran often reminds me that we can’t help everyone. However, the more young people that use the tools offered, the less that will be visiting me before they cross over.

I’m sure there are people that think I hired Caleb Feren to challenge Hope. They don’t know me well if they believe that. Why would I do that when I could have challenged on my own? When I’m ready, I’ll challenge no matter who is in the proverbial hot seat.

The music stopped and cheers echoed from the main room.

Time to roll and if this is going to be my last day here, I’m gonna make it memorable. Later on, Sal is coming here for chess.

The camera clicked off.
Mairead Harker
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
'Baby' Baroness

Post by Mairead Harker »

14 May 2021 - Just after midnight

The camera clicked on and panned over the currently empty practice room and the path to the office. Maggie set the camera on bookshelf to record as she packed her things. Special care was taken with the bear themed chess set that Sal crafted for her.

So, today will be my last day teaching as Baroness of Dragon's Gate. I've been preparing the kids for this for some time. On Sunday, the place officially is in Anya's care. I was glad to hear her telling Uncle Ebon that teachers are welcome to continue as it's best for the students. When I saw how caring she was with David when she thought he was lost, I knew she was good with kids. That's the first step to being a good teacher, building rapport.

The kids will be fine. I've grown protective of them and that started before I learned what was in store for me in the future. This chapter closes for me and a new one begins, I'm looking forward to a short rest without looking over my shoulder. I'm glad Anya won. I feel better knowing the real legacy of Dragon's Gate Sword School, its students, will be in good hands; the hands of a caring friend. Jaycy owes money to the person that unseated me as Baroness, I hope she remembers to pay Anya.

My rest won't last long as the family is shuffling things around to fill the gaps made by Gran's departure. We don't know if or when she will return and might be the most frightening thing I've ever experienced. The lack of her presence creates many holes. After my year here and my experience with the Navarran Army, I'm ready for just about anything, but not that...

She was quiet a bit before finishing up.

Here's to the next chapter.

Maggie carried her things out to the Mercedes and returned to write a note that was tacked up on the school's notice board.

To the students of Dragon's Gate Dueling Sword School,

It has been my honor and pleasure to have been your teacher for this past year. I think I learned as much from you as I hope you did from me. Should you wish to contact me, you are welcome to leave word at Harker's Dueling and Defense Academy in Old Temple.

I wish my successor, Baroness Anya de la Rose, the best of luck for her time here. Please welcome her and give her the same chance you gave me. I am sure you will find her to be an asset to the school and her weapons' skills to be excellent. She has graciously invited teachers to continue their work with you. In the future, I might take her up on that offer.

I wish you all success, good health and happiness in your futures,

Maggie

Mairead E. Harker
Baroness of Dragon's Gate
Lady Knight Marshal of Navarra

Personal notes were given to her Squires, Haru Jeong and Dris to thank them for their support along with a voucher for a weapon or armor item of their choice from Lemnos Craftworks.
Mairead Harker
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
'Baby' Baroness

Post by Mairead Harker »

13 Sep 2021
The camera clicked on.

Sal is Overlord! I’m so proud of him, I could do cartwheels from Dragon’s Gate to Seaside!

I admit to being disappointed that Morgan Chae abdicated. It’s pretty clear to me, however, that his upcoming marriage and the projects that he’s been working on in Dockside have taken priority over the title. I hope he remembers that even with Gran not here that the foundation will still help support his health and safety programs.

Not surprised by Seaside being retired when Hope opted to retire as Overlord.

I’m doing an interview for the Teen Scene segment on Channel KIDS about the election. Should be interesting.

The camera clicked off.
Mairead Harker
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
'Baby' Baroness

Post by Mairead Harker »

18 Jan 2022 - late afternoon

The camera clicked on and showed a view of a small office at Harker’s Academy. Some of Maggie's things, including the hand carved bear chess set from Sal, were on the shelves in the background. Maggie recorded for her private vlog.

The last few months, especially the last week, have been a mixed bag of things. Powerhouse Party, I didn’t get past the first round, but it sure was fun! I was in my first Diamond Quest, that was fun, too! I’m going after PathFinder. If I win it, I can try to make it up to Dama. Sal, though, I know he doesn’t even like touching those stones. He tends to box them up or wrap them before moving them. His mother is She Who Tends the Dead. To most people, that conjures an image of a fierce being. To me, however, it radiates power, but also a sense of peace. Not everyone has the same experience I do with death.

Speaking of death and all, my usual group of visitors that aren’t ready to leave, yet, brought a new one to me. Unlike the others, who tend to be little kids or teens, this was a twenty something adult. I was taken aback until I realized he wasn’t alone; there was a child with him. The man gave me some information and, this morning, I cross-checked with Rachael’s cold case files. Part of his family was reported missing when not enough sets of remains were found after a house fire about a year ago. The case was recorded as suspected arson since traces of magical accelerants were found in the ashes. I say suspected arson because it might have been wild magic not a deliberate act. Neither the Fire Brigade nor the Watch found evidence of how anyone escaped or where they went. My visitors, though, were ones that didn’t. Something about an underground shelter entry being blocked up and the supplies are now running out. Since magic was involved, I need Rachael’s help with the Fire aspect of things. Very well could have been an elemental on a tear and as Keeper of Fire, she’d be able to solve that part. Took several hours to get the paperwork in order and the proper equipment out to the site. They have to be careful as digging in the wrong place could further weaken or collapse the shelter. They said they will call as soon as they know anything. Seems like it would be easy to use magic to move the ground, but since I have no idea where exactly the people are, it could be more hindrance than help. If I don’t hear anything by nightfall, I’m going to go and help feed the crew.

I’m sure some people are wondering why the only action I’ve taken to help the kids from Dragon’s Gate Sword Dueling School is to set up the classes at Harker’s Academy and arrange housing for the boarding students at Sarengrave House. That, simply, is what I knew I could do. As soon as Nayun challenged, I set that plan in motion. My Gran has always told me, don’t just have one back up plan, have several. Doing that was a safeguard and not a reflection of my faith in Ellie’s abilities.

As often happens in challenges, Nayun wanted it more. The only way to answer her is in a language she understands, fight her and win. I can see that, why can’t some of the so-called adults that keep treating me like I know nothing about the school? I spent over a year there as Baroness and taught kids to not just duel, but to defend themselves. Maggie’s eyes narrowed some and, briefly, irritation was evident in her tone. Maybe they ought to spend that much time there and defend five times or more before they tell me how little I know about the place and how it works. She took a few deep breaths and laughed humorlessly before going on.

Dris has already done that. I’m so proud of him! He never really wanted a title before, but this about more than a title. This is about doing something he believes in. When it comes to that, Dris can stand like a mountain against all weather and survive. I hope he is using whatever talismans and prayers he needs to shield himself from emotions during that duel. He will need them as Nayun will find a weakness and use it to her advantage. It’s what most skilled hunters have learned to do. Being a bear has helped me learn what works in the animal kingdom. People are supposed to be higher up the chain, but those called animals by people believe otherwise.

Some people have asked about Gran, where and how she is. The How I can answer, the where … those that already know don’t ask and those that don’t know, I’m not to tell them. It’s somewhat awkward to be leading troops, among other things, beyond the Veil in the realms of the Fae, and return to what I know as home to be treated like a know nothing kid. Being underestimated by some can be an advantage. Someone learned that when I stepped up as champion in single combat for our forces.

Voices could be heard coming from outside her office.

Talking about the new people I’ve met recently will have to wait. I have a class to run.
Mairead Harker
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
'Baby' Baroness

Post by Mairead Harker »

27 Mar 2022 - From the Journal of Maggie Harker

This past year or so has been filled with a great deal of experiences. I need to record my thoughts on them. They are somewhat disjointed. However, sometimes, I just need to clear out my head.

The Zodiac Trust Event in Magic was something I signed up for to have some fun. Seems allowing my aunts to have a hand in choosing the team for me did work in my favor. I think I have built an even stronger relationship with Sal and Gatito during this time. I enjoy my chess time with Sal. I have been trying to further improve my Spanish and French because of both of them. I try to stop at Kitten’s, that’s what I call Gatito’s bakery for short, at least once a week. It’s a lovely pick me up and my students enjoy the mid morning or breakfast time treats. I think Sal is a bit kinder of a person than he believes himself to be. At least, he is with Gatito, who brings that out in him. I notice these things and I’m sure they know it. That doesn’t mean it’s something to broadcasted to the public like the weather. Sal is not one to allow vulnerability to be shown. He’s like Gran in that respect; she only shows that to people she trusts most. Sometimes, when Gatito and I hug, it feels like there’s a little extra warmth in it on Sal’s behalf. They are that close.

I don’t recall an IFL MVP being announced for this past season. I think Yuzuki is the one that deserves it most. Regardless of point differentials, she won all four of her matches. Win or lose, I always enjoy my duels with her. When we are able, shopping at Jusco and lunch at Happy Burger or King Burger is fun, too! I don’t really know her wife, Asami, but I would like to. I’m glad for them. Leaving the place for Lucky at their wedding was thoughtful and touching. Some cultures teach that as long as we remember those that have departed they are always with us. Wherever Lucky is, I hope she has found peace and comfort in her sister’s happiness. Should I ever meet her when guiding my charges to the other side, I’ll see if she’s willing to speak with me.

I’m still looking through the Watch’s cold cases. Rachael has been very helpful to me with them; it’s a two way street. Answers, while not always pleasant ones, can help people move forward. Some of the cases in there are from before I was born. I can’t begin to imagine the anguish of a parent waiting so long and clinging to hope that their child is still out there. It does happen. I’ve only handled two cases like that. One was bittersweet. The other, sad. We were able to give the latter soul their name again. No family was remaining on this side that we could find.

I used to give people nicknames until I realized that some people were made uncomfortable by them. Because of my age, I am often made to feel uncomfortable when endearments are used by people that don’t know me well. It’s one thing for Da to call me Maggiebug or his princess, it's different for someone else to use those names. I don’t know how to say how awkward that makes me feel without coming off as outright rude. I think people sometimes assume their places in the lives of others, without asking or testing the waters on how it’s received, because of mutual relationships of some kind. For instance, Amaris is my heart sister, but that does not mean I call Mist my heart father. He’s a wonderful person and a good friend, but I don’t think of him as Dad. I have never assumed that he thinks of me like he would a daughter. Relationships can be complicated. How weird would it be if Gran patted the head, literally or figuratively, of everyone younger than herself and called them ‘my child?’ Aunt Ari is older than most of my relatives. (I don’t know exactly how much older and am not asking!) It different when your mother’s father’s sister, who has known you since before you took your first breath, sits down with you for a heart to heart over cookies and cocoa, or your Mama’s heart father, who's been your grandfather all your life, calls you ‘Little One’ when you tower over a lot of your family, than it is for someone that barely speaks to you to call you honey or sweetie.

I read in the paper that Lady Sylista passed away and that she had been ill for some time. I wish I had known as I would like to have visited with her before she crossed. I think she was aware of my gift for seeing people that are on or, primarily, needing to cross to the other side. If she needs to tell anyone anything, I hope she remembers. The obituary said that if anyone wanted to offer gestures of sympathy to make certain donations. The kids at the orphanages will be in need of summer clothes soon. I think that will fit her wishes. I’m saddest for the little girl left behind. I don’t even want to know what it would be like to have even gotten this far without either of my parents. I wonder if it would be all right to take something over for her.

I walk between many worlds now. Between Rhydin and the lands of the faire folk, between them and Olympus, walking a path between life and death. Having PathFinder for the time I did allowed me to free the aspect of Zapphira that lived within me. Her knowledge has remained in me. That is a story in itself. Pearl is the last in this time and place that still holds a piece of her. In time, I am certain that the part that was freed by Aunt Rhi will show herself in Galene. Not with Gale as a symbiant as we were for Zaphy, but as living her life anew as was promised by the prophecy we found. I wonder if she will have memories of who she was while she was waiting. Given that Uncle Eregor says he remembers things from his other selves (maybe that’s other lifetimes?), I expect Gale will remember as well.

When my mother returned to this place from a future she rarely speaks of, she was wearing my Gran’s signet ring. All I know is Gran was ill and sent it back with her. For her to part with it is not a good sign. Now that I have it, I am learning how to use it and the power? Energy? Whatever it is that it channels. I now question why Pearl doesn’t have the one from the time and place she came from with Velen. After learning part of what happened, I’m hesitant to ask. Sometimes, it’s better to not know and move forward…
Mairead Harker
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
'Baby' Baroness

Post by Mairead Harker »

May 2022

While my sister/counterpart was taking up her place as Overlord and guiding lives into the world, I have been hard at work. Seems like one day, I went to bed as the Lady Knight Marshal of Navarra and the next … I was someone else and, yet, still Maggie. My recent experiences are a bit like how chess works. In chess, the queen protects the king, always. In life, however, when a queen stands alone, she has a duty to protect her people. She rides at the head of the army, setting the example. Step forward and do what you must. I learned that from Gran and Grandpa Tass.

In that respect, this is no different than the Blackest Night. On that night, I wasn’t alone and I am not alone now standing on windswept winter mountains in the fey lands. I wear armor in the color of my season, now, and have learned to wield sunlight on snow. I have learned to travel through moonlight’s spray and sparkling snowflakes. I have come into my own as a warder and can draw on the healing power of those magnificent alicorned beasts. My spurs were earned long ago.

What comes next as the Winter Queen rises? Only time can tell.
Mairead Harker
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
'Baby' Baroness

Post by Mairead Harker »

June 2022

I overheard part of a conversation that made me very concerned for Jia’s safety. It was like the story of Amber Custer all over again. This is why the rest of the Misfit Society had always been careful who they told what about what might be. My grandmother explained it well, when you pull a single thread from a tapestry, you are removing an anchor. One thread is pulled and the whole piece is at risk of unraveling. Toying with time doesn’t just have an effect on one person, it changes the lives of everyone around them. It’s like that old vid about George Bailey who got to see what life would have been if he hadn’t been born.

Grandpa’s library has histories from other worlds. There are stories of a place called Pern and its Dragonriders. One story stands out as an example, the story of a weyrwoman called Moreta. The riders have the ability to travel between. By that, I mean between time and space. Moreta’s dragon was prepping to hatch a clutch of eggs and could not be ridden on a rescue mission. Bottom line is without that proper connection and anchor, both the borrowed dragon and rider were lost between time and space. Effectively, they were dead.

Jia has the ability to move between points in time. I’ve asked Aunt Rhi if she would make a place for Jia in Garden Tower if she needs it. We learned some time ago that those within the Tower are protected from fluctuations of time outside it. It was how Abby and Madison were kept from just disappearing when the Nexus was in a major flux.

I really pity any responsible parties dealing with my older self and explaining their part in things if Jia disappears. I know I would remember her, but would they?
Mairead Harker
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
'Baby' Baroness

Post by Mairead Harker »

29 July 2022

As a teacher I have dealt with many kinds of people and their problems. Several of my students come to me when in need of counsel. Today, this happened.

One of my half day students came to me, after school, in an upset state. This usually means parent, partner, or friend problems. Parent problems tend to feel differently to me. Letitia, age 13, is a good student, generally not a troubled girl, who is worried she did something wrong. Lettie has a school friend called Marcus. He has been uncommonly kind toward her and others. She took the behavior at face value and believed him to be that rare jewel, a kind soul being good and helpful to others because that’s their nature. She has believed that since she met him, about two years ago.

Over the last weekend, she was invited to a family dinner at his home and observed something that made her uncomfortable at best. It seems Marcus is not extremely kind by nature as she thought, but was in the position of appearing to be or needing to be that way. She said he is kind. However, as she watched him with his parents and siblings, it became clear that he had developed the habit of acquiescing to their desires to avoid conflict.

I explained that there are sometimes deeper reasons why people behave that way. Some might have been abused in some fashion or trained to behave that way. That was when I gained a bit more insight into things. Marcus’s mother had taken the time to speak to Lettie when she realized the awkwardness that was building. Maybe the mother is an empath, it would explain it. He was not her son by birth and they were preparing to finalize a formal adoption. To her thinking, his very compliant behavior was to prevent being abandoned again. No one seems to know if the boy was truly an orphan or just left behind at one of the city’s safe points where children have been left for various reasons.

I told Lettie that she did nothing wrong by being wary of that behavior. While some are compliant with the needs and wishes of others to protect themselves, there are others use it as means of gaining trust and drawing someone into what could become a dangerous web.

After Lettie left my place at the library, I started to wonder about the people I know that seem to be too good to be true. The ones that seem to never have a bad day or when confronted with something automatically want to placate others to keep the peace. Now, I have to wonder if they were truly kind, thought that agreeing with or pleasing me was a good idea, or if they had nefarious reasons for their actions.
Mairead Harker
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
'Baby' Baroness

Post by Mairead Harker »

3 Apr 2023

Bounties have been posted once again on the Arena’s cork, this time for Lord Karos and New Haven. Since what happened not so long ago, even the mention of them leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I’m not even going to put a note up to correct the potential misunderstanding that Pythia, the last ART winner, is the one who will be challenging Reign for Overlord.

It’s not because someone, who wanted to encourage challenges because things were stagnating, that even the mention of bounties leaves me with a twinge of sadness. I think Nayun had the best answer for stagnation when she banished all her Loyals to Renegade to encourage them to fight her. The reason is because some people don’t understand when they are being told, no, I cannot change this for you. I wasn’t in a position, then, to override one of my elders. Even if I had been then, I would have chosen not to. There are times when one must stand on their own, be it in a dueling ring or tests in everyday life. Trees that don’t bend in a storm will break. People that are unwilling to compromise might suffer the same fate. I didn’t just ride through the storms, I became one of the storms. I am, for the most part, content with who I am and what I’ve become. I have never been one to shirk my responsibilities.

I noticed before heading to the Isle that Anya challenged for New Haven. It was hard for me to miss that she said she hadn’t been in a bounty call because there was an active one when she challenged me for Dragon’s Gate. I recall reminding her to make sure she was paid when she won. Perhaps that was forgotten.

I am hoping to hold my own against Reign. Winning the Overlord title would be what Gran calls a feather in my cap. Last night, after nearly going undefeated, I won the right to challenge Gatito for the Archmage title. Rachael won the Keeper's/Peeper's Blessing. If it was armed or unarmed combat, I’d ask him about using claws and teeth. Magic, however, is different. While it can become a knock down drag out fight, there’s often a certain elegance to those duels.

She moved her fingers over the page. The writing had become Tengwar script, but the language was not Sindarin or Quenya as one might have expected.
Mairead Harker
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
'Baby' Baroness

Post by Mairead Harker »

26 May 2023

And so, I am Archmage. It’s almost time for the AMT again. I would like to continue as Archmage. However, if I don’t, I will no longer be listed simply as a Mage in the standings, I will be a Mage (Archmage) Emeritus; could also say Emerita. That is an achievement to be proud of, I suppose. I try not to take such things for granted and do my best to use such power wisely when I have it. It would be easy to rub certain things into people’s faces. To be truthful, I avoid talking about my past titles until someone gets in my face about those things. Then as Gran likes to say, “All bets are off.” You never know when the person you insult on Monday will be the person that can best help you on Tuesday. In the end, the only person I need to prove anything to is myself.

I have not forgotten that Lord Lupton once told Gran that I didn’t belong in the Arena at age six. That was his opinion and he’s entitled to it. It’s mine that I don’t believe that him becoming Overlord will guarantee him regaining his seat as Emperor. There’s a saying, “How sharper than a serpent’s tooth is a thankless child.” It’s pretty damned thankless to overthrow your own father from his seat as a ruler. Then again, I have no idea what kind of Emperor Lord Lupton has been. He doesn’t strike me as a cruel person; a bit snobbish, perhaps, but not cruel. I could be interpreting him as being snobbish when he’s simply behaving how he sees fit as an elder toward a younger person. People are not always easy to read even for empaths and mind readers. I suspect that he will not ask for aid and likely will not accept if it is offered. Definitely what Da would call a man’s gotta do thing.

From what I read on the Arena’s cork, Jewell has been taken captive as a part of this plot. Under most circumstances, I would agree with Reign that Jewell is a formidable fighter. However, this is not normal circumstances. Odds are the Prince Emperor will use anything he can as a tool to sway his father’s decisions. I would not trust that the Empress Queen of Little Elfhame won’t be used as a bargaining chip to get his father to yield even if he becomes Overlord. I hope Lord Lupton has learned that old dogs can learn new tricks and he has a few that his son doesn’t know about.

In reading more of the cork notices and going back to read old ones, I realized that my Aunt Diana might not be the only one in the family with the sight of seers. Then again, she had to have inherited from someone. Didn’t she?

I’ll write more tomorrow, I have a hatchling to tend to.
Mairead Harker
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
'Baby' Baroness

Post by Mairead Harker »

28 May 2023

Mariposa is doing well. Having cared for Sparks for the past couple of years and Clover II, I have a good grasp on what young dragons and their kin need to eat. Clover seems to enjoy keeping the baby company. I often hear what I’ve come to understand as singing when they are in the same place.

Given that three years ago, Pearl and Velen were married at the Desert Sky Festival, it seems fitting that Mariposa was hatched at this year’s celebration. I wasn’t planning on Azure and Olivia joining us in the balloon. However, their pure joy over helping with the birth of a new life coming into the world made the occasion all the better. It was that joy and happy excitement that greeted my little butterfly.

For some time, I considered different ways of helping the egg to hatch. Had I not become ArchMage, I would have challenged Nero for FireStar and Mew for the Tower of Fire. Somehow, the pieces all fell into place a few days after stepping into the Celestial Citadel as its Keeper. I called my past and possible future selves to me. Those combined talents and the sweet blessings from my Ilnaren cousins, helped the butterfly emerge from her cocoon.

The me that was carried PathFinder into the balloon to use its life magic. I am surprised it wasn’t noticed. Maybe it was and people assumed the current holder, Michelle, was present. Would have been interesting to see what would have happened with two in close proximity at once. For reasons I don’t wish to commit to tangible form as they are heartbreaking, PathFinder’s power was able to bring the spirit of Zapphira into Mariposa’s body. Like Galene, Mariposa is an Opal and Tower child. They both fulfilled a part in that prophecy.

The me that might be was the one that called forth the pair of elder dragons and rode away on one to her place at the head of the Winter Court. I have no idea how old she is or how far back in time she came to answer my call. Did she simply know where and when to arrive because she’d walked this path before? She did mention children and those beyond children. She did not tell me if those children were dragons, bears, people, or somewhere in between. I suspect two of them are already here. It might be time for a chat with them like I had with Hawk.

By calling the others to me, I was not dancing on my own and the princess rescued herself.

One of the teachers at the Academy has taken some time off due to a family emergency. I will be taking over some of her classes. Next week promises to be very interesting.

(( Author’s note: Part of this refers to events on the night of the Desert Sky Festival ))
Last edited by Mairead Harker on Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mairead Harker
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
'Baby' Baroness

Post by Mairead Harker »

13 Jun 2023

I didn’t get to as many of the Pride Week events as I planned to. I spent Thursday sitting in family court with four children that had been abandoned, emotionally, by their mother. Their father, well, they said he walked out the door, two years ago, for work and hours later, Watch officers came to pay a call on the family. That’s rarely a good thing.

The father’s in a coma, there’s brain activity. There’s no solid information on whether or not he’ll revive. I don’t know how I would handle it in the mother’s place. I’m not judging her decision on whether or not her life partner should be unplugged from nourishment. Even with her in an understandable state of depression, her minor children still need her. They’ve already been through too much. Taking them away from her and her from them isn’t the answer. A workable compromise was needed. The judge asked for my input since Children’s Services does handle helping the family as a whole. I offered some ideas. I’ve been before that particular judge in the past and he was listening, carefully. His colleague seemed confused that someone my age was advocating in court let alone was serving as Minister of Children’s Services.

I tried to put all the ducks in row before going to court. We can’t always prepare for everything that might be asked. The mother is a trained baker. She has spent so much time sitting beside her husband’s hospital bed that she seems to have forgotten everything else. There were openings in DESMC’s cafeteria and kitchen for cooks, bakers, and counter help. That will keep her close to him during her working hours and help her rediscover what her life once was. Arrangements were made for the family to move into one of the apartments for hospital employees. Again, putting them all closer to the hospital and making less travel needed. There are afterschool and summer programs for the kids. Even part-time jobs for the teens.

One of the teens is magically inclined. I’m considering contacting Headmistress Thornheart at Umbra for her input. Despite being Archmage, teaching Magic on a day to day basis isn’t my specialty. Not to mention that socializing with students with similar gifts will be beneficial. It’s not that I am not willing to try working with them, it’s that they deserve to be at a school where their needs can be focused on. In the meantime, they will all be going to Harker’s Academy for the summer enrichment session. (This is optional for students already enrolled at the Academy.) The plan is that they will be able to catch up to their peers in their basic studies such as reading, history, science, and maths. With those plans in motion, it’s a waiting game to see how they all adjust to things. Things look hopeful.

Return to “Memories and Other Dances”