Out of Character message board for the Duel of Magic

Moderator: Staff

Mairead Harker
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
'Baby' Baroness

Question: Willow Way Community Garden

Post by Mairead Harker »

A couple years back, a player took it upon themselves to destroy what's come to be called The Keepers' Garden to further his own storyline. He didn't ask permission from any of the creators involved and it caused a great deal of anger/animosity toward that player.

How does that relate to the Willow Way Community Garden? Josette has done a beautiful job of creating her vision of what the garden looks like. However, it's not specified if that it's her garden plot or the entire garden encompassed within her vision. I would also like to use the WWCG in my stories involving the Canopy/Gloaming. I don't want it to be interpreted as destroying Josie's idea. Sadly, some people will take the standpoint despite the lack of intent to do so.

Since Twilight Isle is within a pocket dimension is unreasonable to assume that other pocket dimensions might exist within it, such as extensions of the garden, or be connected to the Isle?
"And those who have not swords can still die upon them." - Eowyn, shieldmaiden of Rohan
Royal
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Re: Question: Willow Way Community Garden

Post by Royal »

The garden is a community environment. The best way to think of it like Rhydin City itself: You may have a plot on the Dockside map in a certain spot but someone may have a head canon of that being something else. Does that make one wrong over other? No, it can both exist. If you'd like to add to the garden, feel free! It could be a portion that your character builds up! The exact dimensions of the garden aren't listed so that others can always add onto it.

Mairead Harker wrote:I would also like to use the WWCG in my stories involving the Canopy/Gloaming. I don't want it to be interpreted as destroying Josie's idea. Sadly, some people will take the standpoint despite the lack of intent to do so.

I'm a little confused so if you could give me more detail. Are you looking to write a story about the garden being damaged in some way?
Strawberry
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
Queen of Air & Darkness

Post by Strawberry »

Great question. I put a lot of time and intention into adding features to these housing areas that offered people things to play with, things to do, stories to create, fun to be had. There's room for everyone there and everyone can use any feature at any time. Call it the magic of Twilight Isle or whatever you want, but at the end of the day, the intention is for anyone to be able to use any playable item when they would like to. All simply a matter of sharing and acknowledging that we don't have to incorporate or utilize what anyone else is doing unless we wish to. If one person wants to be like "I go on an adventure with the gnomish lady" and someone else is like "but I'm getting a QUEST from the gnomish lady", it's like, yep, you both are doing exactly that. Even at the same time. Yay magic, right?
Mairead Harker
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer
'Baby' Baroness

Post by Mairead Harker »

Royal wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 1:35 am The garden is a community environment. The best way to think of it like Rhydin City itself: You may have a plot on the Dockside map in a certain spot but someone may have a head canon of that being something else. Does that make one wrong over other? No, it can both exist. If you'd like to add to the garden, feel free! It could be a portion that your character builds up! The exact dimensions of the garden aren't listed so that others can always add onto it.
Mairead Harker wrote:I would also like to use the WWCG in my stories involving the Canopy/Gloaming. I don't want it to be interpreted as destroying Josie's idea. Sadly, some people will take the standpoint despite the lack of intent to do so.
I'm a little confused so if you could give me more detail. Are you looking to write a story about the garden being damaged in some way?
No, I'm not, at present, planning on writing a story that destroys any part of the garden. After the incident I mentioned, I'm wary of treading on toes in some group scenarios. I just didn't want anything that I might write about to be seen as a retooling/destroying someone else's established area, if possible.

I am glad that you gave that example of overlapping places. That translates in my head to what could be called a dimensional shift. If you've ever watched any of the 1980s Twilight Zone episodes, there's one about a shop where people find what they need. The shop is rarely found in the same place twice by the same person and has entrance and exits leading to/from various places and dates. I just realized how fitting that example is since Maggie keeps getting what she needs via the Isle's magic as opposed to what she wants (or thinks she wants)! Your response helped put some things into perspective for me. Thank you!

Strawberry wrote: Wed Dec 06, 2023 10:42 am Great question. I put a lot of time and intention into adding features to these housing areas that offered people things to play with, things to do, stories to create, fun to be had. There's room for everyone there and everyone can use any feature at any time. Call it the magic of Twilight Isle or whatever you want, but at the end of the day, the intention is for anyone to be able to use any playable item when they would like to. All simply a matter of sharing and acknowledging that we don't have to incorporate or utilize what anyone else is doing unless we wish to. If one person wants to be like "I go on an adventure with the gnomish lady" and someone else is like "but I'm getting a QUEST from the gnomish lady", it's like, yep, you both are doing exactly that. Even at the same time. Yay magic, right?
Thanks, Karma! Quest from the gnomish lady was where I was heading and put things aside for the time being. Royal's idea/explanation prompted the memory of the story mentioned above called Wong's Lost and Found Emporium.

There is always the option of creating a garden with the individual homes.
"And those who have not swords can still die upon them." - Eowyn, shieldmaiden of Rohan
Royal
Expert Adventurer
Expert Adventurer

Post by Royal »

You're welcome and thanks for answering!

Yes, that example could work. I, myself, look at the garden as being rather big and its size / dimension obscured so that anyone can have a portion of the overall garden. So long as people create and write, even if summing it up as the "Magic of Twilight Isle", that's fine enough. I think a good motto in cases like these is something I've read Max post privately: "Create, don't destroy."

This isn't to say I'm thinking anyone is going to try and destroy something in the future! It's more to say creating is a nice fundamental rule for community development especially within a shared setting.

Return to “Duel of Magic (OOC)”